Shopping Cart
Now Reading
How Shopping Cart Plugins Integrate and Work with WordPress

How Shopping Cart Plugins Integrate and Work with WordPress

updated by M. K. SafiMay 11, 2012
by M. K. SafiMay 2, 2011

You may want to know how each WordPress shopping cart plugin works and integrates with WordPress. Some plugins create their own database tables. Others utilize WordPress custom post types and custom taxonomies.

Below you’ll also find screenshots of the product adding screen of each plugin. That screenshot will give you an idea of what mechanism the cart uses to add products to WordPress.

In my opinion, the WordPress shopping cart plugin with best integration with WordPress API is MarketPress.

[feature-page name=”how it integrates with wordpress” group=”shopping-cart-plugins”]

What's your reaction?
Wink It
Interested
Meh...
What?
Sad
Kill It
About The Author
Profile photo of M. K. Safi
M. K. Safi
  • August 30, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hello, very nice article, thumbs up.
    My friend of mine is using an old templatic theme called storefront which is using WordPress posts to store the products and it uses the built-in categories to organize them like you mentioned in your article above. And now my friend is considering to use coolcart theme, also from templatic which is using woocommerce. Can someone give me an insight on how to seamlessly switch from storefront to cool cart? I’m talking about hundreds of products that need to be display. Whew…
    Thanks

• February 11, 2013 at 1:20 am

Interesting article and nice comparison. In my case, I have a list of products which are dynamic and changes quite abruptly on daily basis. These products are found in the database which changes on daily basis.
    Do you think there is any plugin/theme that supports this scenario. Its a matter of displaying these products.

• July 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Nice article, but I am looking for something entirely different. I want to display a list of say, 30 recent posts, with their thumbnails, on my blog’s homepage. The ‘posts’ would be arranged in catalog format, like this:

theplrstore.com

Do you know of any plugin that can do this for me? So far I have either found plugins that either require me to manually add a ‘post’ to the catalog, or edit an existing post to have it added to the catalog. I want something that automatically displays the posts without having to do anything on my part. Maybe I don’t even need a plugin, maybe all I need is some php code but cannot figure out what?? Appreciate any help :)

And the ‘recent posts’ plugins I have used so far either do not work right on my multisite blog, or offers the option of displaying posts with thumbnails on sidebars only!

• Profile photo of M. K. Safi
      July 20, 2011 at 1:30 am

Hmmm, your requirements have to do with the presentation not the functionality of your site, so what you need is a theme, not a plugin. (It wouldn’t be right for a plugin to try to do this, but I guess such plugins do exist.)

Find a theme that displays posts as a grid and your problem will be solved. Market Theme comes pre-configured for this.

• May 26, 2011 at 2:57 am

wow. Very useful. This is the some of the exact information I was looking for. My objective is to covert existing post (which are products) from a 500 plus product catalog I built with WordPress so that I can use them in an existing WordPress e-commerce solution. I assume it would be easier/seamless to convert them to custom post types?

• Profile photo of M. K. Safi
      June 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hi David, You’ll most likely have to export/import your product data as XML or CSV. There is the CSV Imp plugin that works with eShop and it is specifically designed to deal with a problem such as the one you’re having.

The products don’t have to be a custom post type.

You must log in to post a comment